1912 Federal Building with courthouse and post office. Later Grand Rapids Art Museum. In 2010 restoration began for Woodbridge N. Ferris Building, Kendall College of Art and Design. 91,000 s.f. with marble and terrazzo floors and stairways, intricate wood detail.
CITY AND COUNTY ADMINISTRATIVE BUILDINGS BY SKIDMORE OWENS AND MERRILL, 1969
1969 City Offices and County Administration Buildings designed by Skidmore, Owens, Merrill on Vandenberg Plaza with Calder "Stabile."
RYERSON LIBRARY DESIGNED BY SHEPLEY, BUTAN & COOLIDGE
1907, Ryerson Library designed by Shepley, Butan & Coolidge, a gift from Martin A. Ryerson. Restored, including original marble interior, in 2003 by Hardy, Holzman, Pfeiffer with Fishbeck, Thomas, Carr and Huber.
FOUNTAIN SCHOOL ENTRANCE
1919 Fountain School designed by Henry H. Turner in the modified Gothic style.
GRAND RAPIDS POST OFFICE - CURRENT
MICHIGAN NATIONAL BANK BUILDING DESIGNED BY SMITH HINCHMAN & GRYLLS 1925
1925 Michigan National Bank, 13-story building designed by Smith Hinchman & Grylls at Monroe Center and Ionia. Art deco - Mediterranean Renaissance style with ornate carvings, and tall slender arches at the base, arch motif repeated as window trim.
OLD GRAND RAPIDS PUBLIC MUSEUM
This stunning moderne structure complete in 1939.
THE YMCA BUILDING, NOW THE FITZGERALD
1915 YMCA building, associate architects Robinson and Campau. 2005 restored by CWD as "The Fitzgerald" condominiums. Named as early settler William Fitzgerald. Restoration of limestone and cornice details and Palladian windows. Historic running track above the parking structure retained.
LADIES LITERARY CLUB
1887 Ladies Literary Club designed by William G. Robinson in the Richardson Romanesque style. Slate hipped roof over handsome brick facade with stone trim. Elevated front entry recessed behind a rounded arch opening with complimentary arched window trim.
Flat Iron Building, 1860
1860 Flat Iron Building built as the Aldrich Bank, Ottawa and Monroe Center. Oldest commercial building downtown. Built by Moses Aldrich, Grand Rapids Mayor and son-in-law of William Ledyard. Restored as law offices of Smith, Haughey, Rice & Roegge.
McKay tower as seen from Monroe and Ottawa.
1949 The Davenport Institute building was designed by Wilifred McLaughlin in moderne/art deco style as a mixed use building for Davenport Institute classes.
1905 7-Story Apartment Building called Hoffman Flats. Built from owner Clayton H. Hoffman's plans. 12 Apartments each with seven rooms including a library.
PANTLIND HOTEL DESIGNED BY WARREN & WETMORE
A massive brick structure with ornate stone trim has been alternately described as Italian Renaissance, Beaux Arts, and English Adams style. Designed by the New York Warren and Wetmore firm. Purchased in 1979 by the Amway Corporation and restored once again as a luxury hotel. Interior features include original gold leaf ceilings and stunning chandeliers.
1874-75 Historic Peck Building designed by early Grand Rapids architect Reuben Wheeler.
Veterans Memorial Park
The old Rowe Hotel is now open again and home to the Rowe Apartments and Atwater Brewing on Monroe and Michigan. When opened this hotel was considered to be an important addition to Grand Rapids which, at the time, needed more lodging for the furniture exhibitor showrooms and events.
Downtown View from Monroe Center with McKay Tower in the distance
GRAND RAPIDS CIVIC AUDITORIUM
1932 Civic Auditorium designed by Robinson and Campau in consultation with Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, Detroit. Built during the depression years, the Auditorium's construction crew were paid with "script" redeemable at special script stories.
CIVIC AUDITORIUM RECESSED ENTRY DOORS
CIVIC AUDITORIUM FOYER VIEW OF ART DECO DOUBLE STAIRWAY
CIVIC AUDITORIUM FOYER
FIFTH THIRD BANK BUILDING
Originally the Old Kent Bank Building on Calder Plaza, the modern structure was designed by Daverman Associates in the mid-1960's as a result of urban renewal.
First Place sits next door to the Gothic style First United Methodist Church on East Fulton and is now part of its campus. The modern concrete facade sits close to the street and has pairs of tall vertical windows evenly spaced on four sides of the building, and a recessed entry on. It started as a downtown office building.
The Manufacturer's Building designed as a furniture exhibition building on Ionia is now a main building of the Kendall College of Art and Design campus downtown.
Iconic Repurposed Brass Works Building on Monroe
The Dayton Apartments at 143 Cherry SE designed by F.P. Allen and Sons.
YWCA BUILDING ON SHELDON
1920 YWCA building on Sheldon designed in Robinson and Campua in the late Gothic revival style.
HEYSTEK (COLISEUM) BUILDING
I have read that the Heystek (Coliseum) Building at 118 Commerce SW opened in 1910 as a skating rink. This building with its magnificent arch is now the headquarters of the United Way.
The old Browning Hotel
1937 REGENCY APARTMENTS
1937 Regency Apartments designed by Emil Zillmer for Albert Builders in brick with art deco details.
GLOBE KNITTING WORKS
Originally Grand Rapids National Bank designed in Classic Revival Style
The Masonic Temple on East Fulton was designed by Osgood & Osgood, and was one of many Masonic buildings designed by the father and son partnership.
HOPCAT AT 25 IONIA SW HOPCAT
Division Avenue corridor is home to many historic buildings
Rood Building on Pearl near Monroe
THE GUNN BUILDING ON IONIA SW
GRAND RAPIDS IS HOME TO MANY RESTAURANTS IN WONDERFUL OLD BUILDINGS, FOR EXAMPLE, GRAND RAPIDS BREWING IN THE BEAUTIFUL, ITALIANATE GUNN BUILDING
21 IONIA HOPCAT
THE CLARK BLOCK IN ROMANESQUE STYLE
FEDERAL SQUARE BUILDING
1892 MICHIGAN TRUST BUILDING
1892 The Michigan Trust Company Building, designed in the Richardson Romanesque style by Chicago architect Solon S. Beman, has been described as Grand Rapids first skyscraper. The two-story rusticated stone arches are echoes in the arched windows of the upper floors.
THE LEDYARD BUILDING IS ONE OF THE EARLIEST COMMERCIAL STRUCTURES STILL STANDING IN THE CENTRAL CITY AREA.
IS THIS THE OLD MOOSE LODGE?
THE OLD POST OFFICE ON CHERRY SW
This building was apparently a Federal Post Office Building and Garage. It is now beautifully restored and home to the Aveda Institute.
SAINT CECILIA SOCIETY BUILDING
1893-94 The Saint Cecilia Society Building was designed by Henry Ives Cobb, Chicago Architect. Always important to the cultural landscape of Grand Rapids, it was the vision of forward-thinking women and the site of important events such as a lecture by Susan B. Anthony herself.
225 SOUTH DIVISION
Completed early in the 20th-century, this substantial brick commercial building was designed by Thomas Benjamin and Son.
FEDERAL SQUARE BUILDING
The massive Federal Square Building with its rich color glowing in the afternoon sunlight as seen from a parking lot across from Kendall College of Art and Design.
GIBSONS NOW MANGIAMO'S
The old Gibsons was once the stately residence of the Wurzburg Family.